Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Monday/Tuesday


Hello my little chicks and ducks :)
Monday was a half day for me at the farm. I came in early, got to work for a bit with the new intern, Mika, and said goodbye to my new people and animal friends around 2:00. It was strange seeing the place empty of visitors after the busy weekend. It felt empty...calmer. Phil says it's way better that way, but I kind of enjoyed meeting so many new people. There are volunteers who come to the farm every week- some from Woodstock, some from Brooklyn and others from even further. The family who brought one of the pigs, Miss Piggy, to the farm (because they found her hurt on the side of the road and kept her until she grew just too, too big) comes to see her almost every week and helps out. The sanctuary is able to stay open purely on donations, which is pretty cool, and everyone working there or volunteering there honestly wants to be there and help. It's so nice!
So now I'm home for a few days to sleep and regroup and be here for my little sister's 11th birthday. It's really nice to be home and to see my friends and family again. Everyone's home from college! yay!
It took about three hours to get home, which is kind of long to be in the car by myself, but when I got home there were two baby cows in our pasture! AHH! THEY ARE SO ADORABLE! We got them from a dairy (and beef) farm that was going to sell them to become veal. That's also how the steers at the farm were rescued. Not a lot of people see the connection between dairy and veal, but since cows have to have a baby in order to produce milk, they are just constantly being made pregnant and then having their calves taken away to sell to make veal. It's horrible. Anyway, they're about two weeks old and still only drink milk which we have to give them from a bottle. It's going to be an adventure trying to raise them, but it makes me feel so, so happy and wonderful that we're doing this.
Pogo
Jean, Miss Piggie, Sophie

Don't know his name yet
Joe and Micky
Don't know his name either... :/
So now today is tuesday and I guess I'll be going back on Friday morning. Maybe I'll post some more pictures in the next few days and give you guys updates on how our little cows are doing. It's a very exciting time!
Going to see Letters to Juliet tonight with Rachel, Lina and Stephie! yay!
Love you,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment