Thursday, May 13, 2010

The basics


Why hello there everyone (in the whole world) !
So this is the blog for my amazing senior project for Solebury School. I'm so glad to have you here! This adventure will be full of surprise turns and heartwarming moments and funny stories and learning experiences and it's only been one day and I'm already exhausted... what have I gotten myself into here?
Anyway! What? Oh right, so here are the basics:

For three weeks I will be interning at the fantastic Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary in (where else?!) Woodstock, NY. Pretty cool.





  • Why do I want to do this? Well mostly because I like animals a lot... and (Once in a blue moon do I actually come out and say this) basically I think exploiting or killing something that has a central nervous system and who knows, feelings maybe? For the smallest of conveniences is wrong. It's not that hard at all to be vegan. "Protest cruelty at every meal" is the basic philosophy here, and that's pretty much how I've always viewed it (I decided to be vegan five years ago and haven't died yet.). The sanctuary's animals have been rescued from the worst sorts of conditions imaginable, and, if you want to drive to the sanctuary yourself and meet them (which you totally should by the way) you will find they're a lot more like your pet cat or dog than you realize. I've only been here a day and I'm already attached to them (the bunnies and turkeys especially).
But I also know that not everyone was raised as a vegetarian like I was, and it's harder for others to make the connection between that cute little chick and your bucket of KFC. And that's one of the best things about WFAS! It's a place for abused animals to be happy and well cared for, and it's also an educational facility. During the weekends the entire sanctuary is open to the public (it's very popular), and the staff is trained to give tours and explain the animals' stories, the horrors of factory farms, and to, of course, let you pet the bunnies.
So yeah, you should totally come say hello. You can help me clean out the chicken coop!
Thanks doll, you're a real catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment